Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Westside Story


I was excited to see that basketball returned tonight. I've missed Ernie, Chuck, and Kenny - and Cheryl (the TNT Inside the NBA team).

Tonight, we visit the land of the Western Conference, where temperatures are only exceeded by the scores in their games, and defense can't be found even on the back of a milk carton (unless you won the championship last year).

The first game up featured the San Antonio Spurs vs. the Portland Trailblazers. The Spurs received their rings (zzzzz) and this game was just "eh" in my book. Of course, it was intended to be the debut of Greg Oden, but alas, no Oden all season, so this was just the rather boring game that I expected it to be. Actually, with players like Lamarcus Aldridge, the Blazers look like they'll be a good team, and when Oden comes back next year, they could definitely be one to watch.

Then the second game. I almost went to bed, but I'm glad I stayed up. On the marquee: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Houston Rockets. Yes, Kobe Bryant's long awaited debut . . . and he got booed by the fans! Not a total surprise, but for a second I thought this was Philadelphia. I think Kobe has the distinction of being booed by his hometown (Philly) and by his home crowd (L.A.).

Just when it looked like the Lakers were out of it, Kobe (and friends) made a run, down by two with under 15 seconds to go. On the next play, Kobe passes it to Derek Fisher for two . . . it's good, and we're tied. The same boo-birds suddenly loved him again.

And then in an instant, the homecoming was spoiled At the other end, with 4.5 seconds left on the clock, former Naismith Player of the Year and Duke alum Shane Battier hit a three-pointer to put the Rockets up by 3. The silence was deafening. 2.5 seconds to go. The Lakers had one good play left, and Battier fouled Kobe, apparently right before the act of shooting, but they were still in the penalty. Kobe went to the line and made the first, purposely missed the second, came up with the ball, and had it knocked away as time expired. Of course he screamed and cursed that he was fouled, but the game ended nonetheless. Life did not, despite his ranting.

Kobe had 45 points, as usual, but it's apparent that he and this team are not going to be making a deep run in the playoffs. I still don't see him going anywhere in a trade, and I was happy to see Chuck and Magic (Johnson) agree with what I said about him earlier.

East coast is up tonight . . . which should mean more interesting games, if you ask me!

No comments: