Thursday, October 11, 2007

Too Much Booty In the Pants

As you may recall, boxer Floyd Mayweather is on this season of Dancing with the Stars.



Because this is a dancing show, I would like to publicly request that he stop shamelessly promoting his December 8 fight, and realize that you better win that fight or you will be looking at a lot of clowning from here on out.

And please stop whining:

Tuesday’s competition came down Newton and “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather, who also ended up in the bottom two. While Newton has endured the judge’s low marks with humility and grace, Mayweather has found it hard to disguise his feelings of persecution and what he calls “bias” from the judges.

“I’m out there giving it my all, and I don’t understand, no matter how hard I dance, or how good I dance, how am I to understand the scores that I get,” Mayweather told PEOPLE after the show. “I mean, if they’re bias toward me then it is what it is. I’m dancing my best, have the best dancing teacher, so they can’t take my natural ability and my talent from me.”

Floyd, you are talented in something. Boxing. Nobody can take that from you, you are right about that. But dancing? That's a whole different story. You keep sticking your butt out like you're getting points for it tapping it on an imaginary wall. Too much R Kelly Bump 'N Grind, not enough Gene Kelly Singin' in the Rain.

From the looks of it, I'd say that Floyd is approaching his dancing a little bit too much like a boxing match. He seems to be measuring his steps but doesn't appear to be really feeling the music. One of the judges told him to be more technical, but I think focusing too much on that could be weighing him down. I know we're asking a lot for him to look more fluid out there, but this is a dancing contest he entered.

But at least he's no Wayne Newton, who, in contrast to Floyd, is surprisingly really tall by Hollywood standards (that must mean he's 5'8"). Wayne was probably losing money by being away from Vegas for so long, anyway, but he gets a lot of kudos for going on there and being so, um, not good. And being a good sport about it. Even Floyd admires Wayne:

Despite Mayweather’s ongoing concerns of how he’s being treated in the competition, he had nothing but nice things to say about his fallen compatriot. “Me, myself, I think Wayne Newton is a legend,” added Mayweather. “He’s a great guy. His personality is great. He’s a marvelous person!”

Well that was awful kind of him. Should we be on the look out for the Floyd and Wayne Show in Vegas? Maybe Wayne has some bigger pants he can borrow.

No comments: