Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tiki Torching the Today Show


This morning I worked from home and had the pleasure of watching former NFL star running back Tiki Barber on The Today Show. I recalled that he had been hired but I never turn on the TV in the morning so I've apparently been missing out. Even his wiki page is calling him a "news and sports broadcaster" first before a former RB, and he only quit at the end of last season.

When Al Roker did a tour of the studios and I saw Tiki sitting on a desk, it still hadn't dawned on me that he was actually a part of the show. I thought he just got caught flirting with the blonde whose desk he was perched atop.

I was in and out (since I was working!) through most of the show but I did catch one of the co-hosts telling him that he had a great-shaped head for wearing the bald look. Just like he used to hear in the NY Giants locker room.

His neck may be a little thicker than some of the guys . . . , but he does look like he fits right in, and he's actually pretty darn likable. He's quite smiley for a guy who's used to having defensive lines try to end his career, but I guess I would smile more now, too, since those days are over and I am getting paid to sit still rather than run all the time. I'm definitely not mad at him, but I am a little surprised he's doing "soft" news. If he wants to maintain any shred of credibility with the NFL set, it might be wise to avoid those pet trick segments.

No comments: