Monday, October 15, 2007

MNF or SNL?


Tony Kornheiser is quite the, um, interesting commentator. If anyone watched Monday Night Football (I know, the game wasn't much to watch, sorry Atlanta Falcons fans), then you heard these gems from Tony, which I have paraphrased for your enjoyment:

1. "Eli Manning, QB for the New York Giants, makes the salary he does because his last name is Manning."
You mean he benefits because Eli has like, famous relatives or something? This idea was resoundingly ballyhooed by his co-commentators, and was quickly followed by ESPN going to commercial. I think that's a little harsh. It must be hard enough being the brother of Peyton Manning without Kornheiser ruining Eli's Monday night season debut by saying he's only making what he is because of his family is considered NFL royalty (dad Archie Manning was also quite the talented QB in his day).

2. "Why do the Falcons need their money back from Vick to clear space under the salary cap? Isn't it enough that he was just ordered to give it back?"

So then they'll just use Monopoly money to pay any players who benefit from the cleared cap space? ESPN also went to commercial when he said this, not sure if that was just coincidental. His co-commentators answered his question after the break, without rubbing in that he should have known this. I hope he was just thinking out loud and hadn't really thought about this before. Otherwise . . . well, I'll be kind, because I can imagine it must be hard to commentate a game, and again, I truly hope that he just hadn't thought it out.

I know there is at least one other tidbit I am missing, but I'll post it when/if it comes to me. Sometimes the other commentators are cracking up laughing at something Kornheiser says, but other times they seem annoyed, so I wonder how they really feel about Tony. One thing's for certain: I have to write this stuff down immediately.

But guest commentator Jimmy Kimmel did provide some "legitimate" comic relief:
"[Joey] Harrington's not a great quarterback but he's very nice to his pets."
Kick 'em all while they're down! That's the American way.

No comments: