Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bye Yankees. Bye Joe.


You may have noticed that I have not discussed the MLB playoffs on the blog. Well, since my favorite team isn't playing, I didn't have anything to say. But now the NY Yankees have changed all that.

I am elated to report that the NY Yankees did not make it out of the first round of the playoffs - again - bowing out to the Cleveland Indians in 4 games after a 6-4 loss tonight.

Teams in every sport try to buy championships, i.e., the NY Knicks (must be something about being near Wall Street), the L.A. Lakers, etc.). Sometimes it works, but when it doesn't, and you not only lose games but you're wasting money, too, your job is guaranteed to be on the line.

Enter Joe Torre. After the Yankees won on Sunday, but still down 1-2 in the series against the Indians, their owner, George Steinbrenner, had this to say about Torre:

"His job is on the line," Steinbrenner told the Bergen (N.J.) Record in Sunday's editions. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Apparently George likes to talk, and has threatened similar actions in the past, but sometimes enough is enough. Like Janet Jackson said, what have you done for them lately? My guess is that he's gone this time, because three straight years of losing in the first round of the playoffs is a charm. Don't let the door hurt you on the way out, Joe.

1 comment:

D I O N N A said...

sorry really cannot comment here. I may live in NY but I'm just a Yankee HAT fan.