Sunday, October 7, 2007

'Who Dropped The Soap' Not So Funny Anymore


If I'm Trent Green, I would start being a little nicer in the lockerroom to the offensive linemen. For the second straight season, Miami Dolphins quarterback Green was forced to leave another game with a concussion after a nasty hit from Houston Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson. He left the game and is not expected to play next week, and perhaps longer. Green missed half of last season with a concussion after taking a hit in the opener while a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

This has an interesting subplot. The play happened after Green handed off the ball to a rookie who fumbled it, and in the scramble to tackle him, Johnson says Green tried to tackle him at the knee. Johnson did not take too kindly to this, and he stood over Green in a taunting manner while an immobile Green lay immobile on the field, for which he received a penalty. Said Johnson (remember, he's the defensive tackle, Green is the QB) about the "hit" by Green:

"The bottom line is, it was a malicious hit. It was uncalled for,'' Johnson said. "He's like the scarecrow. He wants to get courage while I wasn't looking, and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly, you know what I mean?

"My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today,'' Johnson said. "If you want to hit me, hit me in my head, hit me in my chest, don't hit me in my knee. I'm trying to eat just like everybody else. So, to hit me like that, that showed me what type of man he was.''

Um, ok, Johnson, we get it. Dirty hit by Green. Only the guy didn't walk off the field, he was taken in a stretcher, and you walked off. You may well play next game, and he will not. I know it's football, but you might want to change the battery on that sensitivity chip.

Speaking of injured QB's, the Arizona Cardinals' Matt "that's just my baby daddy, and no I'm not Tom Brady" Leinart is out with a broken collarbone.

Tough week to be a QB. Reminder to us all to treat our offensive linemen or linewomen with care!

No comments: