Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Shocker: Duke Has A Football Team


I heard about this and then it went out the other ear. I suppose if I write a blog I should care about every piece of sports news I hear (that means I don't care about NASCAR). It should have stuck me because I knew a guy who played football at Duke and I don't think they won a game the entire time he played.

The Duke University football team (no, seriously, they have a team) won its first football game in its last 22 times on the field, defeating former powerhouse Northwestern University, 20-14. Another awesome loss for the Big Ten. I'm frankly surprised that players continue to play here every year. Perhaps it's just a way to go to school for free and bide one's time while you're in college. It must be really hard when people wait in line for hours to touch the hem on the gym shorts of any Duke basketball player, but when your own classmates admit they were ashamed to wear Duke Football t-shirts on campus, that can't be good for the ego.

This article about the win captured much hilarity. Among my favorite bits:

"It was a great win, but it was one football game, and we have to put that in the proper perspective," [Coach Ted] Roof said.
Um, Coach Roof, I know you're a football coach and you have to keep your team motivated and all, but the perspective is your team stunk, and may continue to stink despite this one game, so you better live it up, my man. If the kids are going to let one win in two seasons go to their heads (the team is still 1-2), you have a lot more problems than improper perspective.

These kids actually removed a goal post, which has to be a first:
Team officials said replacing the goal post would cost about $5,000, but workers in the school's maintenance department said they were reassembling it after several pieces of the uprights and crossbar had been returned.

"It was really nice to see it missing when we came back," left tackle Cameron Goldberg said.
They actually brought back pieces of the goalpost? What kind of college kids are these? As if Duke couldn't afford to buy a new goalpost. That's it. They don't deserve to win any more games. But they did try to frame the chapel with them after they tore them down. Go Duke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Duke!

HILARIOUS....and you know why!