Thursday, September 6, 2007

UPDATE: Must Love Dogs? Nope, Don't Have To


So as it turns out, every dog may not actually get his day. Since the time of my previous post Pleats 'n Cleats: Trouble the Dog - $12 million . . . Flesh and blood - $0 , it turns out that everyone doesn't love Trouble.

Leona Helmsley's attempt to leave $12 million to the care of her dog, Trouble, may not succeed because Helmsley's brother doesn't want to care for the Trouble-maker. Not only that, but Helmsley's wish that Trouble be buried with her in her mausoleum probably won't be granted either. The cemetery where Helmsley is buried claims that state law forbids animal remains to be buried in human graveyards. Eh. This sounded fishy (no pun intended) but it seems to be true. Any guesses on the purpose of this law?


Helmsley chose to be buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Yes, that Sleepy Hollow
(Not to be confused with this Sleepy Hollow, resting place of Henry Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson.). Look out for the graves of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horsemen - nothing better than a cemetery with a sense of humor. This may be one of the most disturbing websites, without meaning to be so, that I have ever seen, with quotes like this on the main page:

The original Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is an historical, yet active, cemetery. There are still burial lots available in this most hallowed ground. However, perhaps you are more curious about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?

This is followed by a letter from Washington Irving, author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. If I was more curious about the burial lots, I'm not sure I would be after seeing this. I guess everyone has to target their message to their audience. . .

While I am sure, or rather, I hope that Helmsley's brother would have taken her human offspring, I'm glad that he drew the line at taking her problem child dog. As much as I love my dogs, I would never make anyone care for the crazy one. And she's certainly not getting any part of my fortune (ha) or my family's mausoleum (double ha).

I think this is Mike Vick's first (and maybe only) point in the regular season.



No comments: