Saturday, August 18, 2007

Race Car Driving is Not a Sport . . . yeah, I said it

So for my first official post, I thought I would give you a list of activities that I consider to be a sport. For a definition, I turned to the trusty Answer.com, which offered this among the many definitions:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

Note the phrase "physical exertion." I know that some of you may disagree and that is fine. You may even go on Answers.com and see that the first definition says only "physical activity." Nevertheless, the following is my not-so-exhaustive list, in no particular order, of some activities that I consider to be sports:

Sports

1. Basketball
2. Jai alai
3. Baseball
4. Football
5. Tennis
6. Boxing
7. Soccer
8. Hockey (Yep, few cared when it was gone a year but it's still a sport)
9. Track & field
10. Golf* - ONLY thanks to Tiger Woo

* But as long as people like this are playing, too, it's always going to be fringe in my eyes.


Whether or not the above sports will appear on Pleats 'n Cleats (i.e., does anyone care who's the next Carl Lewis?) is another question, but suffice it to say they made the list. What did not make the list? These are activities that involve skill, but just because you get a winner and a loser doesn't make it a sport. They are:

NOT Sports

1. Race car driving (If something really eventful happens, I MAY mention it)
2. Bowling
3. Poker
4. Fishing
5. Iditarod (maybe for the dogs, not the people chillin' on those sleighs)
6. Hunting or shooting at anything, especially clay pigeons
7. Billiards
8. Bocce ball
9. Spelling bees
10. Eating competitions

I believe what all these non-sports have in common is that sweating - and therefore, physical exertion - is due to lighting, outside temperature and/or pressure/nervousness, and not in any way related to the activity itself. Let me know if you have any others to add to this list.

Someone has already taken me to task for race car driving, saying that NASCAR and that other league are popular. I said, "Well, so is the circus." Also not a sport.

Remember: Just because you see it on ESPN doesn't mean it's a sport!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

what's bocce ball? lol!

KelleBelle said...

You forgot to mention Cheerleading! Sorry, not a sport.

Welcome to the Blogosphere! =)

DionnaMarie said...

You clearly haven't watched the Nascar late night show on ESPN (or maybe its ESPN2)!!!

Anonymous said...

While I see the point that you're getting at I must disagree with the notion that these are not sports. Just because you don't get killer abs and legs from it don't mean it ain't a sport. If it requires physical energy... If you can pull, break or fracture something...it's a sport. I threw my arm out bowling so guess what??? Sport! Now where I do agree is that they are not the type of sports that people enjoy watching others do. If it ain't pookie and ray ray acting a fool trying to get a strike then you probably don't want to see it. So no, you shouldn't waste blog space talking about these SPORTS, but they are indeed SPORTS!

Anonymous said...

good job. you forgot netball. that too is not a sport