Thursday, September 6, 2007

Real Sports with Pleats 'n Cleats

Rest assured that Real Sports with me is way better than anything Bryant Gumbel has to offer. Although I must admit that his show is pretty darn good. Check it out on HBO On Demand . . . AFTER you finish up here.

Today begins the NFL season. This means that the real sports are finally in season. I did get into baseball, but I only really watch one team (and the Yankees . . . sometimes) so it's nice to have another reason to leave work early. Because let's face it: SportsCenter is just not that interesting after basketball ends.

Tonight it's the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts vs. the New Orleans Saints. For the NFL-unaware, that means Peyton Manning and Reggie Bush, who, for the really NFL-unaware, has been linked to the likes of R&B/pop singer Ciara and celebrity-for-what-reason Kim Kardashian. I refuse to post a picture of the latter because I will not perpetuate the hype . And what do ya know? As I type this, the NFL is running a commercial featuring both Peyton and Reggie. I told you they were a $mart bunch.

As I sit here watching the "Opening Kickoff" concert (I use that word loosely), I am confused. First up? Kelly Clarkson. Yep, that's who I think of when I think of football - and to anyone who just saw her performance, I would like to point out I'm not making a crude joke about Kelly. I just think it's an interesting choice to kick off the festivities . . .



Moving right along. So the announcer tells us that up next is John (when did he drop the Cougar?) Mellencamp, Faith Hill . . . and Keyshia Cole. Hmm. I guess they're trying to capture an audience in five minute blocks, just long enough to see your artist of choice and then turn the channel until the game starts. Oh wait, Mellencamp's from Indianapolis. Ok. He gets a pass.

I thought I'd seen enough until our announcer said "In the immortal words of Ludacris . . ." I honestly didn't hear what he said after that. I was too stunned that Christopher Brian Bridges, aka Luda, not only got a mention during Kickoff night but got the "immortal" tag. I prefer these immortal words instead:

''We never took no money from Chingy, thought I was cool wit him.
I wish his ass well, but I don't want nothin' to do with him."
Now I love the Colts and the Saints just as much as the next football fan - ok, this may not be true - but let's keep it real. The only reason I really care about this game is because my fantasy football kicker is playing tonight.

Break a leg, Vinatieri!



On second thought . . .


**UPDATE** - 11 seconds into the game, Indianapolis' top RB, Joseph Addai, went down . . . Oh wait he's back up. To all fantasy team owners who had Addai: Step back from that ledge, my friend. And glad you're OK, Addai.

**UPDATE 2** - My kicker scored the first extra point of the regular season. I'm cooking with gas.

**UPDATE 3** - Game over. Colts won. They scored 31 points in the 2nd half, and yes, they were playing football. Saints defense, take heart. At least you didn't get whooped by Appalachian State, whose win over Michigan has caused the Associated Press poll to start ranking lower division schools for the first time in the poll's 71-year history. How's that for a confidence booster?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One team and the Yankees? WTF is that about?