Thursday, January 10, 2008

Would You Fire This Guy For $100k? What About $200k And Another Guy?


A reader sent me this link about how serious the fans/supporters/boosters at the University of Washington take their sports. I guess the Seattle Seahawks and the Supersonics just aren't doing it for them.

Apparently, people were not too happy with the team's performance this year (they ended up 4-9) and decided to let the school know about it. One guy - a lawyer, I might add - offered the school $100,000 to fire current coach Ty Willingham, and another $100,000 for a law school scholarship if the school agreed to fire the athletic director, Todd Turner. (So technically, UW could hire Mickey Mouse and Goofy, and still end up with $200,000.) The end result? Apparently the law school needs the money more because the AD is gone but Willingham is staying put.
This message is worth sharing here:
One alumnus, an elementary-school teacher in Seattle, despaired: "We are
Washington. At Washington you win football games or it just isn't Washington
anymore." He said he'd bought his infant daughter a Huskies cheerleader outfit,
but now vowed to stop purchasing UW merchandise and attending games until
Willingham was fired. "Because now Husky Saturdays are days of sadness and why would I want my daughter to share that?"

Yeah, why would he? Babies should not know sadness that early.

1 comment:

DionnaMarie said...

When I saw this title in my email, I assumed the article was about Zeek! ;)