Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Giant" Exploitation?


Wednesday night I caught a little bit of the UNC-UNC Asheville game. Of course, everyone was talking about the 7'7" Kenny George with the size 28(!) feet on UNC Asheville's team.

I watched him play. He looks like a giant. Seriously, I've watched a decent amount of basketball and he makes 6'10" guys look like midgets. But he doesn't really look happy, and he seems to be laboring in his movements. I wonder if he's not in any pain and people are just pushing him for the novelty and the (eventual) money. Here's his take on himself. He can't do a lot of things regular people do, like riding in a car or fitting on an airplane. I actually feel kind of sad for him. But on the other hand, he's the leading shot blocker in the NCAA and, let's face it, he's going to block a lot of people by just standing there.

But he didn't block Tyler Hansbrough's dunk. The funniest part in the entire link is George's statement about why he got dunked on:

“I saw him coming to the basket. I just kept my hands straight up,” George said.
“I had him. I just forgot to jump. He jumped. I didn’t jump. I should have known
than a 6-10 player as athletic as him was able to jump over my hands even if I
go straight up.”

I'm going to read between the lines a little bit and speak for George. What he wanted to say was "White men can't jump, and I thought this was going to be no exception."

No, instead, "Psycho T" gets press for dunking on George, who is tall and can block the shots where he's standing but otherwise I'm not sure how developed his skills are.

He wants to play in the league, and I am sure that he can. I just hope he stays healthy.

1 comment:

DionnaMarie said...

I was thinking the same thing!!! He might as well keep at it for as long as he can and learn to invest.

On the other hand, hysterical about, "...can't jump."