Thursday, January 17, 2008

Run It, Run It


Rundown from the Run-Down, quick and dirty:

1. $3 million to be an assistant head coach? More than a lot of head coaches - good ones, too - are making. All of the reward and none of the pressure? I'll take that! In his press conference, Garrett said that especially in coaching, there's a natural inclination to want to advance. I thought about it and said, well don't most people want to advance in any job? Then I see people do the exact same job for 20+ years (that's definitely going to change with the newest generation), so I guess he has a point. Hopefully the Dallas Cowboys won't be so disappointing next year and will make him earn his keep.

2. Starbury is out indefinitely following his ankle surgery. I have been going easy on the guy since he lost his dad, but the New York Knicks are playing better without him. Despite his flaws, I think he has a good heart overall, though, and I do wish him a speedy recovery.

3. The San Antonio Spurs are showing they are capable of slumping, losing at home to the Cleveland Cavaliers in a "rematch" of last year's final. In an 82-game season, there's not too much shock when one team beats another. If they actually beat them in a series, then I'll be shocked.

4. The Australian Open is going on. I haven't kept up with it much because it comes on around what should be my bedtime. All the seeds are pretty much advancing as usual. The most exciting event thus far is some controversy over alleged anti-Turkish comments made by one player that appeared on YouTube - don't worry about his name, just know that he beat Roger Federer. Apparently he sparked an Israeli-Palestinian-type conflict with his comments, and he's not apologizing for them either. I hope he has security.

5. The woman who sought a restraining order against Randy Moss defended herself following comments from Moss claiming his innocence. Among other things, Moss said, "In my whole entire life of living 30 years, I've never put my hand on one woman, physically or in an angry manner." Is he coming out?

No comments: