Friday, August 31, 2007

The Star of David Not Shining So Brightly



So you spend millions of dollars ($250 million over 5 years, to be exact) to bring this guy David Beckham to resurrect - or "surrect" if you ask me because resurrect implies that you were up to begin with - Major League Soccer ("MLS"). According to one website's poll, he's only second behind the Beatles as England's best export. Now, several of you may be familiar with Freddy Adu, but beyond that, I bet you can't name another player in the MLS (and Freddy's gone, too). And Pelé is pushing 70 years old, having retired long before MLS came into existence (1993, but 1996 was when league play began), so scratch him off your list as a soccer player you know.


But despite the fact that only five people have actually watched dear Becks play a game, the powers that be tried their best to create a story - the Beckham Invasion, soccer's savior, etc., - but nobody really cared. They even tried giving him crazy, media-hungry celebrity friends like Tom and Katie, who even went to watch him play his last game with Real Madrid.



Ok. You tell me. Have you seen him play a game yet? Was that a "No"?

And then, when he's finally about to make his debut, he injures his ankle before his first game here with the L.A. Galaxy.

Now, to make matters worse, he is really injured now with a sprained right knee that will likely keep him out for the next 6 weeks, and keep the L.A. Galaxy out of play-off contention. Though seeing as how the Galaxy dead last place with a record of 3-10-5, I'm not sure why we're talking playoffs. I hope there was some injury clause in that $250 million because, at this rate, I don't think you're getting your money's worth, MLS. But if there was no clause, which I can't imagine there was, Beckham is certainly getting his.

Welcome to the land of opportunity, Becks!

***Some of you may have noticed that I did not mention his wife, Posh Spice. Excuse me, Victoria Beckham. First, let me remind you that this is a sports blog. Second, I actually don't have anything to add to what's been written about the "star" of one of the most boring reality shows that I've ever seen on TV. I'll admit that the show was somewhat entertaining, because she is kind of funny and clueless at times, but she's not quite Hollywood-crazy. And that is a plus in my book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

htp://www.star-of-david.org