Wednesday, August 22, 2007

R.I.P. Eddie Griffin


I have to catch up on my rest tonight, so this is going to be a short one. Think of it as a reward for getting through yesterday's post.

I was extremely saddened when I heard the news that former NBA player Eddie Griffin died in a car collision with a train last week. He last played with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Apparently his body was so badly burned (and he was driving without a license) that it took the coroner until today to identify him through his dental records. He was only 25.

For those of you who have never heard of Eddie Griffin, check out his Wikipedia page which gives all of the sordid details of his life and basketball career. Despite getting kicked out of high school and later kicked off the Seton Hall basketball team, he went 7th in the 2001 NBA draft to the New Jersey Nets, who immediately traded their draft rights to him to the Houston Rockets. He played a few solid seasons at Houston, but after some problems, they released him. He was then picked up by the Nets, but sat out the following season while he was in alcohol rehab. He then spent several seasons with the Timberwolves until he was released earlier this year.



Unfortunately, he received more attention for his off-court issues than he ever did for his basketball game. He had potential, and probably would have gone higher in the draft had his off-court life not interfered. It seems that he never really found his way in this world despite his apparent "success." If you read my post below, then you can probably guess how I feel about this situation. However, it appears that people really did try to help him, but in the end, it was not enough. It's just a tragedy that it had to end so soon and so suddenly.

I just hope that you are finally resting in peace, Eddie.

5 comments:

NegativeMode said...

Why are you saddened? You told us you were saddened, but didn't elaborate and instead told us who Griffin was.

Is it just a general sadness for a relatively tragic situation, or is there something more specific?

You don't have to answer, just curious.

Pleats 'n Cleats said...

Well, let me see. I'm saddened because I feel for his family and friends who probably really cared but just didn't know how to reach him. I'm saddened because it's just one more example of how talent can take you farther than you might be able to handle. I'm saddened because the #6 pick that year may have been close to him in draft selection, but light years away from him in the ways that really matter.

And finally, I'm saddened because even though I know we may not always reach them all, that won't stop me from making an attempt.

Anonymous said...

So sad. My heart goes out to the family and friends. RIP!!

NegativeMode said...

He was really good in Undercover Brother too.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, i wish you lived up to your potential, you could've really been something special, i hope that you know we can learn from you, and your in peace now, no problems no rehab. your set free big boy. i'll miss you bro