Friday, October 3, 2008

Running and Winking


If you're like me, then you not only watched the Vice Presidential debate, but you watched the 6 hour post-game wrap-up and replay on CNN. I actually ventured over to FOX News' website and was surprised to see "liberal" articles. But that doesn't mean I'm going back. Plus, Anderson Cooper's much easier on the eyes and ears than Shepard Smith.

So perhaps you'd welcome a reprieve with a little bit of sports talk. I aim to please:

1. What are the odds that O.J. Simpson would be waiting on a verdict on the anniversary of the last time he received a verdict? An even better question is what the odds are that he'll be acquitted again. Even if I had watched the entire trial (I haven't followed it all), I couldn't tell you with any certainty who would win. A judge I know once told me that even he had been surprised during his many years on the bench by jury verdicts, and the only thing he knows for certain is that you just can't tell. If I were a betting woman, I'd go with not guilty, because somehow I think O.J. was meant to suffer on the outside. Just a feeling . . .

2. Warren Sapp is a jack of all trades. He's toe-tapping on Monday and Tuesday, and Wednesday he's giving football opinions. And he certainly had some interesting things to say. Sapp, who played with the Oakland Raiders before he retired from the NFL in 2007, said in an interview that Al Davis (surprise, surprise) knows old school football with old school athletes, but is about 30 or 40 years behind the times. He also says that Davis would call in plays during the games. Wow. I don't know if that happens in other places but that's the ultimate sign of a control-freak. That's jumping past three levels of people (management, coordinators, and coach) to whom he has supposedly given over control to directly affect what happens on the field. Sapp further confirmed what many others have already pointed out: Lane Kiffin was dead as a doornail before he even got there. What a sad state of affairs out there in Oakland. At least the weather's kind of nice this time of year . . . and it's pretty.

3. What a sad (by Pleats 'n Cleats standards) story. I'm sorry it only gets this little bit of space . . . I may give it more when I have a moment. University of Connecticut freshman Nate Miles, who was to be a forward on the UConn basketball team, has reportedly been expelled from school for allegedly assaulting a fellow female student. Miles has been accused of violating a restraining order issued against him after a UConn student claimed he attempted to force her to have sex with him. Although this does not affect whether he tried to force her to have sex on a particular occasion, it should be noted that the two had been in a consensual sexual relationship since September. Upon finding out that he violated the order by calling the woman 20 minutes after it was issued by the court, the school reportedly expelled him. Wow. I don't know all the facts but that seems harsh, especially in light of the fact that the charges against him could be dismissed if he goes to counseling. I read that he had attended five different high schools, but I don't see how that makes it OK to drop the kid the first time he allegedly messes up. I have to imagine that he must have been on the edge already and this just tipped it. (UConn coach Jim Calhoun has certainly had a challenge with his recruits, eh? Google for the full story.) If Miles did something wrong, he should certainly be punished in a meaningful way and not just slapped on the wrist, but just kicking him to the curb is not the answer. I do hope he receives help if he needs it and is able to either successfully appeal this or find a new program. If he was good enough for UConn, then he's good enough for just about all the other teams around the country. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one . . .

4. I'm sorry, but I have to switch over just a moment to make this public service announcement: 1) "Nucular" is not a word. It's time to throw out those Bush tapes you used to prepare. 2) Winking is not appropriate during a debate. Twice is grounds for disqualification. 3) General McClellan was a commander in the Civil War. Although a certain candidate may have made his acquaintance, he has been dead for over a century. He probably didn't have much to say about Afghanistan back then. 4) I didn't know you could "choose your own adventure" in books and debates. 5) "Shout out" is so 1990's. "Big ups" would have gone over much better.

5. Ok, I'm back. I just had to get that off my chest. I haven't been much into baseball this year, but the playoffs are usually pretty interesting to me for some strange reason. Maybe it's because I do like baseball but they play too many "doggone" games during the year which dilutes the value in watching any particular game. Even with basketball, unless it's a good team, I can't really just watch any game. (And any sport where you can play twice in a day is borderline an activity anyway. . . but I digress.) I have kept my ear to the ground enough to know that the New York Yankees, despite their bloated salaries, are not in the playoffs, and the Chicago Cubs are looking at a World Series run . . . ok, maybe that's "were." The Cubs have dropped the first two games in their series against the L.A. Dodgers. Shockingly, I missed the game Thursday night in favor of the debate. But I did catch this picture which is worth at least a thousand words (also about the number of people who will approach him at work on Friday). I hope his kids are old enough to enjoy (or be embarrassed by) this and that his wife gets this framed for him.



Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: