Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Anniversary, Denny!

Thursday, October 16 is the second anniversary of the Rant Heard 'Round the World . . . . and of some really great sound bytes. (Hence the commercial).

On October 16, 2006, Arizona Cardinals then-coach Dennis ("Denny") Green truly exemplified what it means to "go nuts." We've all felt like he feels, where the frustration builds to the point where you just can't take it anymore, and then you snap. Who wouldn't be furious after losing a game in which you were leading 23-3 in the fourth quarter? That's what makes his rant so funny - because we do know what he's feeling, we're just thankful that no one was around to film us feeling that way.



So in honor of this occasion, I thought I'd post my top five favorite coach rants (In terms of a rant I might go so far as to condone, though, I'd have to go with this one.) You might be familiar with some of them, but hopefully there's at least one you haven't seen. These are nothing short of amazing.

5. Beyond not wanting to talk about playoffs, Jim Mora keeps it real, again and again - and again. Not many coaches will tell you the truth, that "we got our a** totally kicked."



4. John Chaney going for John Calipari. This a classic example of when keeping it real when goes wrong.



3. This is the best entry into a post-game press-conference I've ever seen.



2. "But here's my point" - just when you think he's going to whisper . . . I have to try this sometime. It seems effective.



1. Which brings us to #1. I love how none of the reporters actually leave the room because they are NOT about to miss this story . . . but they're also not about to get knocked in the head with a phone.






And just because no good rant list is complete without Mr. "I know I 'sposed to be there, I know I 'sposed to lead by example," even if he's not a coach. (With "practice" counter)



Happy Friday!!

3 comments:

NegativeMode said...

Time for a blog posting about Penn State's awesomeness, eh?

Pleats 'n Cleats said...

Surely, you jest. For starters, I'm not so into college football (as I'm sure you've noticed since I know you read the blog EVERY DAY) :), and for endings . . . Penn State?

La Linguetta said...

Crown. Their. Ass.