Friday, October 10, 2008

Open Your Mouth and Remove All Doubt

When it rains it pours. I haven't neglected you all, I just haven't had a spare moment to sleep so writing wasn't exactly at the top of my list.

So I've also been out of the sports loop a little bit but I see there's a lot going on these days. I'm working on borrowed time as I type but I thought you all should see this if you haven't already.

Everyone knows Magic Johnson has HIV. I was there when he played his last All-Star game back in 1992 (wow, I can't believe that was 16 years ago!), and at the time, everyone was in total shock. Magic was and still is the biggest athlete to come forward with his HIV status. It seemed almost certain that he would have died by now. But he has had access to excellent medical care and has really taken care of himself, and, fortunately for all of us as well as the many urban communities he has invested in, he's still here.

So when someone suggests that he faked his AIDS, even in jest, that's just offensive. There aren't too many people who would get a pass for making a statement like that - maybe Chris Rock . . . maybe! - but it all depends on the delivery.

A "shock jock" on a Minneapolis radio station took the lowest road with the worst delivery when he made the statement that Magic "faked AIDS" and added that "he's the only cured AIDS guy ever." The guys on the show laughed, suggesting they found it amusing, but even if this isn't offensive, it just wasn't a funny joke. Anything for ratings, I guess? But oftentimes what gets you the most attention isn't good, and sometimes you even get fired (for a little while, anyway). Here's hoping these guys get more than just a slap on the wrist.



Kudos to Magic for his excellent response:

“I am extremely disappointed in KTLK in Minneapolis. I am outraged that Chris Baker and Langdon Perry would minimize such a serious and deadly issue. Millions are dying from HIV/AIDS and the fact that they would make jokes about my status is unbelievable,” Johnson said. “Chris, Langdon and KTLK should use their power in a more positive light by encouraging people to get tested for this disease instead of making up such ridiculous lies.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

Here is my homepage :: raspberry ketone reviews