Monday, September 29, 2008

Pleats 'n Cleats Goes to Nike Town

Just outside of Portland languishes one of the most awesome places to work. Not that I know because I work there, but just by the looks of it, it's definitely more awesome than where I work.

For instance, when I walk into my job, there's no Tiger Woods conference center. (We also have pre-historic rotary phones, but that's a story for another day.)




And neither does Tiger Woods stop by my job. There's also no running trail, no Olympic track, and no exchange like the following has ever occurred: "I work in Ken Griffey Jr. Where are you?" "I'm over at Mia Hamm." Yes, the buildings are named after Nike's favorite athletes, including Nolan Ryan, Bo Jackson, and His Airness, of course.


But here, in Beaverton, Oregon, home of Nike, you can say all that. You can also work and lunch outside. Do you know how badly I want to be able to work outside? I'd stay all day (I guess I should add "without complaining" since I already stay all day) if we could work outside.


There's even a soccer goal in front of this one:



My camera died during my visit (just playing dead, I later discovered) so these pictures don't quite capture the woodsy and serene essence of the Nike campus. In a word: beautiful. Although, to be fair, I probably went on one of the nicest days of the entire year. (What can I say, Mother Nature is my homegirl).

While on campus (as they call it), you might even run into an athlete or two (or ten) in one of the two workout facilities boasting state of the art equipment, which the employees can access for free. This place really is like a college campus, and not a small one, either. I asked if there were places to sleep but was told I'd have to go home.

Another perk: employees get 50% off in the Nike employee store. I even saw a former NBA star in there with his family (I won't ID him since he wasn't there for publicity) so I guess this place must be a really good deal (or the economy is just that bad. Or both). My "tour guide" believes we passed Phil Knight en route to the store, but I can't confirm that. It is also due to this tour guide that I have refrained from inserting a joke here. (Sometimes I wish I weren't such a nice person . . .)

Shout out to a few employees inside. First, I'd like to say thank you to the guy who helped me pick out my running shoes - the Nike Air Zoom Vomero +3. I love them. I get the feeling that he wasn't expecting to provide full-service in that setting, so I appreciate his patience - and at least I bought the shoes! And, kudos to the guy at the front counter who explained the NCAA policy forbidding student-athletes from receiving the "extra benefit" of the employee store (under certain circumstances). Since I'm a lawyer (and am not shy with my opinion on NCAA policies) I had to find the hypothetical that would make the rule not make sense, and he was ready with his lawyer-like explanation. I was impressed (and I was right)!

The only downside I could see to working at Nike is . . . nothing, really. I submitted my application to the security guard on the way out. I'm willing to work my way up . . . or jump in the path of LeBron James' car so I can get paid. Whatever it takes.

No comments: