Monday, June 29, 2009

GYGM: Who's Bad?

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted at all in the month of June...

Well, now is as good a time as any to post a GYGM (I know it has been a long time). I promise I'll be back to posting in the near term (even though NBA is done, I have some thoughts on the trades and draft picks...and what I think will continue to be an interesting summer for all of those...)

But I had to give all due respect to what I can safely say is the greatest entertainer of all time. Everything else has already been said.

It's funny that LeBron mentioned during the BET Awards last night that MJ did a lot for basketball, as he may have not considered the veracity of his statement, but he is right. Michael Jackson's influence across all forms of entertainment certainly paved the way for others (black, white and other) from sports to music to movies and television.

Thanks for the memories, MJ.

4 comments:

La Linguetta said...

I'm SO not over MJ. I'm even becoming one of those defensive fans who starts talking about his philanthropy the second people try to bring up, you know, all the lies.

I've got an idea: You should change the title of this blog to Gloves 'n Glitter and dedicate it to MJ.

Although I know you won't really do it, you should know that I'm not really being facetious. I'm just really loving Michael.

D I O N N A said...

I watched the BET awards with a couple of friends who did not agree with LeBron's MJ comment. In true form, I politely reminded them that Michael Jackson came before Michael Jordan and of success of Space Jam.

Great article.

Unknown said...

I think Lebron was just being respectful. However, I do think he was right. Michael Jackson helped to break color barriers, which certainly impacted basketball and American culture overall. Furthermore, think about how many half-time performance where done to an MJ song!

Pleats 'n Cleats said...

Thanks for sharing!

La Linguetta: I am right there with you, trust me. I'd say he was more misunderstood than he was beloved. While I'd love to change it to Gloves 'n Glitter, I don't want to dishonor the man in the process if the blog doesn't live up to his standards, but I appreciate that :-)

D I O N N A: Thanks, short but sweet. Yes, he was the first in so many categories, and because of his genius, will also be the last.

Marshawn: Yeah I really don't know what people would do if they didn't imitate MJ. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a kid born in the late 70's and 80's who heard his mucic and hasn't tried to moonwalk at some point!