Monday, November 17, 2008

Quickie: Terry Porter Ain't Got No Rings

I try to avoid discussing my personal experiences so as to protect the innocent (and the guilty) but this one was completely anonymous and worth sharing.

I was out and about the other night, standing at the top of the stairs of a restaurant when I saw what looked to be an older basketball player coming up the stairs toward me. As he got a little closer, I said to myself - which ended up being out loud - "Oh, that's Terry Porter!"

The response from "Terry Porter" as he ascended the stairs: "You must be drunk, baby!" (I hadn't had a drop of alcohol)

The man next to me quickly makes the correct identification: "It's [insert name of (way) former role player who won several NBA championships alongside a superstar]!"

(I won't out him since I don't want to start any trouble)

Yes, upon further inspection, the man next to me was right. So "way former role player" ("WFRP") says to me, just to make sure I never got it confused again: "Terry Porter? Terry Porter ain't got no ___________ rings!"

I apologize, WFRP, you're right. I should have looked for rings. That would have totally cleared things up.

But mostly, I apologize to nice guy Terry Porter for getting him confused with this character. People really crack me up . . .

5 comments:

rdo said...

Craig Hodges?

Anonymous said...

Scottie Pippen?

Unknown said...

Ron Harper

Anonymous said...

Can't confuse Pip for any other living person. And he's broke so unless you were at the two-story MickeyD's then he probably wasn't there.

Craig Hodges only won two rings.

Ron Harper won several with Mike and a couple with Kobe/Shaq...and he's no longer with the Pistons so he's got some free time. Also he and porter have the same shaped head. Now, whether he's been known to be a dBag I don't know, but he is from Dayton, OH.

What's my prize?

Unknown said...

I don't think I've laughed that hard all week. Thank you, Anonymous.

I may have to do this more often . . .