Saturday, November 10, 2007

UPDATE: Vikings Have A Change Of Heart

It turns out that the Minnesota Vikings care more about their public image (and resulting loss of fans and $$) than they did about taking Troy Williamson's paycheck.

Updating my previous post, Vikings Coach Brad Childress announced to reporters today (yes, that's before their game tomorrow) that the Vikings have decided to give Williamson back the $25,000+ check they docked him for missing a week of practice and a game following the death of his grandmother who raised him.

Said Childress of the reverse of course:

"I think the important thing is everybody grieves differently. That's the thing that I learned, or we learned, in this," Childress said. "In the end, it's not important to be right, but to get it right."

Perhaps I am a little cynical, but I think the end of that quote is "so we don't lose any more fans and money." I don't like the implication that they think they are "being" right in this situation, but I'll take it.

And trying to ensure his spot as Nicest Athlete of the Year, Williamson has decided to give the check to charity in his grandmother's honor. Bravo to Williamson for making the decision to be more than just right. Having a heart counts for something, AND it will definitely win you more fans.

Take note, Vikings organization.

No comments: