Sunday, November 11, 2007

Not My Idea of A Fantasy


It was a weird Sunday in the NFL. The St. Louis Rams got their first win, the Super Bowl champs fell to a pretty mediocre team. The Cincinnati Bengals pulled out a win without scoring a touchdown. And the once on fire (for once) Detroit Lions set a record with -19 yards rushing.
But what rings the loudest to me is the sad reality that my days of winning the weekly pool may be officially over. I certainly have no shot of winning the entire league.


Yes, I'm talking about my fantasy football team. Somehow, several of my players managed to win even though they didn't do much to help their cause. One just totally choked. To wit:


LT was eh - the San Diego Chargers defense did a better job, and the Chargers' offensive line was not helping out their boy at all. But it was enough to hold off Peyton Manning and the Colts. Peyton threw 6 interceptions in maybe the worst game of his career, so I'm sure he's feeling pretty bad, too.


My QB - Carson Palmer - no touchdowns. From anyone on the team, for that matter. No, the Bengals kicker kicked SEVEN field goals and won their game for them.


My defense - the Minnesota Vikings - got blanked and managed to not only score no points but actually racked up negative points.


And, ah, my kicker. Indianapolis Colts' own Adam Vinatieri, who was supposed to be the premier kicker in the NFL. Not so. I thought he was just rushed when he missed from 42 yards at the end of the first half. But then he misses the potential game winning kick from 29 yards out, and erases the one point he had gotten earlier from an extra point.


The end result was two bagels (including my tight end), one -1, which adds up to me not winning anything.


Let's hope my fantasy basketball team fares a little better. This is depressing.

No comments: