Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Old and The Heartless

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Troy Williamson was docked pay (approximately $25,000) for missing a game to attend the funeral of his grandmother (she raised him, so really, she's his mother).

Now, I'm sure there's something in the collective bargaining agreement that says that players don't get paid if they don't play for a variety of reasons, but this just seems ridiculously unfair.

First off, Williamson's not making millions of dollars, he's making about a half million this year. Which is definitely a lot. But $25,000 then turns out to be a lot of money to a guy not making a half million.

Even if this was the policy, I think the team should dig in their fat pockets and give the man his money back. I know this is a business and they don't play that many games to begin with, but even I get paid for missing work sometimes.

He's appealing the decision. I really hope he wins.

No comments: