Monday, November 5, 2007

My Post-Super Bowl 41 1/2 Round Up: Canned Fans? Battle of Just the QB's?

So much has been said about yesterday's game between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. But I have two things to say.

First up, were the Colts playing unfair?

Like the Patriots several weeks ago, the Colts have also been accused of cheating. (For irony, see the sign behind Brady in the picture above.) This alleged cheating is actually kind of interesting. First, they're saying that the Colts piped in the canned sound of fans to make it extra loud while the Pats were on offense yesterday. Presumably so that the Pats couldn't hear any signals.

Now, I am surprised because I actually noticed this yesterday. I thought I was hearing things, or a mic had changed positions, but lo and behold, I heard what could become "Coltgate." The idea that the Colts would purposely pipe in fan sounds is quite comical for its genius.

However, CBS says blame it on them. And the NFL looks like they're going to go with that, too.

There were having some audio problems at the Colts' home that prevented Bill Belichick from communicating with his beloved Tom Brady, which required them to have to signal plays in to Brady.

Well, it didn't matter in the end because the Colts didn't win anyway, proving once again that alleged cheaters never prosper . . . but confirmed cheaters do.


My second point: why do the quarterbacks on these teams get all of the accolades? I found myself falling into that trap yesterday. Caught up in the hype of the battle between the QB's that I unwittingly framed the game as "Peyton's showing up" when I was referring to the whole team. It seems that not enough credit is given to the Colts' running back, Joseph Addai, or Brady's receivers (including my own fantasy team's Wes Welker, and Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth). The commentators are in on it, too. I'm not sure if it's the nature of the beast (that the QB runs the show) or something else . . .

No comments: